Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A humble student in being Human

Thanks

Re: A humble student in being Human

Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    Humbleness referred to in the OP is an acknowledgment that with all I have learned, achieved and participated in, I am left humbled at how little I do know, not a humbling in the meek, lower self or apologetic sense).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenci View Post
    I tried to act with humbleness.
    Religion would have us try to be humble, to humble ourselves. There is a difference in trying to be humble and being humbled. When one has been truly humbled, there is no more trying, humility becomes rather a constant state, and in this state humility is not only the mother of all virtue, virtue becomes effortless.

True Humility can appear to others to be a passive state, but it is in no way passive. Kindness or virtuous action is met in the moment without desire to gain from the action. When one is trying to be humble, they are hoping to gain something from the experience, whether it be spiritual, emotional or material. It can also come from a sense of duty. With true humility, there is no longer a sense of duty, it is just appropriate action applied, knowing that nothing need be personally gained from it, it is right action being done just because the need is seen and it can manifest in any number of ways.

Afterwards, there is no thought about it, there is no credit for it, there is no patting oneself on the back or wishing someone else would appreciate it. There is no wishing that things would have gone another way. There is nothing learned by it, there is nothing gained or lost by it. It does not bring misery or happiness or cause one to lose misery or happiness. If one reflects back on the moment, it may be considered compassionate, generous, courageous, virtuous, kind, arrogant, narcissistic or any myriad of concepts, but in the moment there is only right action without contriving, cleverness, or hesitation. Nothing is learned because it springs from knowing.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Awall For This Useful Post:

8t88 (06-02-2013),9eagle9 (06-02-2013),Reaver (06-02-2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,285 Posts

Dead on. Humbleness isn't act, its an expression of one's essential being.

Most times we are not even aware of being humble when its a true expression.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9eagle9 For This Useful Post:

8t88 (06-02-2013),Daqua (06-02-2013),Reaver (06-02-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pod
    You put a lot in that post Reav's and I think you way over analyzed it's meaning.
    No, I didn't. You are just making it personal when I clearly stated:

As a general thing I really don't get (well maybe I do) why people worship humbleness. To recognize one's own limitations, ignorance, pitfalls, etc. is one thing and that is healthy.
    It was never an analysis on what you wrote, but by reading the OP my mind started to see other issues connected to the word "humility". You expressed your take on it and I expressed mine. YOU made it personal, dude, not me and since you already made it personal allow me to continue this dynamic for practical purposes.

Put the whole 'life' in perspective and it all comes down to the fact that I am 'a humble student in being Human' and really know **** all.
    Yes, you said that like 5 or 6 times already. You know a lot and yet know nothing. I knew it was being put in perspective and not to be taken in a literal sense, then again you made it personal and thought I was ripping apart your post.

I guarantee you will understand more as to the meaning of the thread title with another 30 years under your belt with all that those years will offer to you, you will conclude similar, simply due to being Human but mostly due to being a sound thinking human. There is no other conclusion to arrive at if one uses rational and logic based on all the information compiled over one's lifetime.
    Dude, I don't need 30 years. Hell I'm capable understanding and explaining ideas which require a lot of deep contemplation. How many of you here were capable of doing so at 23? Maybe you were, Pod... but I have my doubts.

I don't need another 30 years because I already understand how it works, I understand the foundations of it. If you were not so busy taking it personally you'd have noticed this:

As for me, I'm not humbled with being human, why should anyone be? But I do find fascination in the potential within humans. I even find ignorance marvellous because ignorance is potential waiting to be actualized, Ignorance is to be transmuted into knowledge.

Ignorance leads to the struggle of adding meaning to the world. Such conflict has the potential to create amazing **** and amazing f.uck ups. Ignorance is a perfect companion to knowledge because it can be used as a counterbalance to knowledge in the "hope" of not becoming too enamoured with one's own knowledge.

The problem has never been ignorance itself, in fact that's a kind of blessing which gives room to imrpove upon ourselves. The problem is toxic emotional security some people find in ignorance. Humbleness invites mediocrity because it excludes healthy conflict (not a morbid one) which is utterly necessary for progress.
    I didn't pull it out of my ass, that's the result of putting effort into it. This is me paying respect to knowledge and ignorace, something you missed because you felt like taking my reply personally.

I happen to have plenty of time to dedicate myself to exploring a lot of ideas, Pod. I bet I have way more free time to do it than you do. It's been almost 4 years for me since I started to make all of this contemplation part of my lifestyle and it has been an intense regimen because I have a passion for it and a deep respect for it too. So spare me the infantile idea of the magical ability that years have to "humble" my young rebellious temperament or my hormones or whatever.

I can brag about the years I've put in it, but years mean nothing. It's the dedication that matters, anyone can spend decades chasing ghosts. So maybe you are the one who needs another 30 years, or maybe just reading things twice or at slower place will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 8t88
    Maybe but is it really? One being narcissistic enjoys his ego and does everything to show to the world how important he is. What is the difference in being humble if that becomes my thing to brag about and indulge in 'how humble I am'? From my point of view they are just two different expressions of the same thing with same motives in the background.
    Yes that's the irony when you study what others here have labelled "fake humility", it just happens that I have an issue with the word because of all the historical "mind control" that can be found behind it. But yeah what you stated happens a lot and it's not rare to find people who preach humbleness and become obsessed with it to the point that they eventually become highly narcissistic. I bet medieval times had a worse time with the "humble" pandemic that the black death itself, ha.

Oh and the word also has the potential to cripple any drive that someone may have to get something done. It's a spell being casted by toxic people to younger generations and this young ones then interiorize the spell... then repeat the same process with their off spring. Sometimes I wonder if this phenomenon it way more beneficial to the status quo than a legion of corrupt politicians... probably it is.
    Last edited by Reaver; 06-02-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: grammar
    Inner Armageddon Blog: http://innerarmageddon.wordpress.com/

People's insecurities and inability to be comfortable in themselves prevents them from shutting the f.uck up.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reaver For This Useful Post:

8t88 (06-02-2013),Daqua (06-02-2013)

Thanks

We’re all writing from our own personal meanings as to what humble/humbleness/humility means. There are some words that acquire meanings above and beyond what they might ever have been destined for. We immediately attach to words meanings that come out of our social, cultural, religious, spiritual, intellectual backgrounds and experiences. Can there ever be any unity of meaning when we all come from such diverse backgrounds? Unity comes only in that non-physical, non-verbal space that we’re all trying to get to.

I sometimes try to detach myself from words and the meanings I give to them and enter into the experience of what is being said rather than mere verbal transactions. Going back and reading Pod’s post a few times I was able to see him and an experience he was communicating that in its essence goes far beyond words. The first time I read his post I came away with the word “humble” and immediately addressed it and what I had to say about it. But what he was really saying goes far beyond and is not a post about Humility per se.

Of course in this medium of communication that we are using, we have only words, but every now and then after using them as a worthy vehicle we also have to leave them on the page and transcend them.
    know thyself

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Amer For This Useful Post:

Ross (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 773 Posts

Amer, thank you...

Most reading this thread have missed the point or the meaning I was trying to explain...never mind, my bad for being unable to communicate using the written language I chose to use.

What's important is I know what I mean.:lol:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amer View Post
    We’re all writing from our own personal meanings as to what humble/humbleness/humility means. There are some words that acquire meanings above and beyond what they might ever have been destined for. We immediately attach to words meanings that come out of our social, cultural, religious, spiritual, intellectual backgrounds and experiences. Can there ever be any unity of meaning when we all come from such diverse backgrounds? Unity comes only in that non-physical, non-verbal space that we’re all trying to get to.

I sometimes try to detach myself from words and the meanings I give to them and enter into the experience of what is being said rather than mere verbal transactions. Going back and reading Pod’s post a few times I was able to see him and an experience he was communicating that in its essence goes far beyond words. The first time I read his post I came away with the word “humble” and immediately addressed it and what I had to say about it. But what he was really saying goes far beyond and is not a post about Humility per se.

Yes indeed, and the context of what I mean comes down to this:

(Can't remember who wrote this)

"It makes you think...

The more we observe the more we understand

and the more we understand the more we 'know'

and the more we 'know' the more we realise there's so much we don't know".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:

Adam Bomm (11-30-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 810 Posts

Hi Pod,

I'm curious as to what kind of music you specialized in...if any...I know musicians, like artists dabble in many forms.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Bomm View Post
    Hi Pod,

I'm curious as to what kind of music you specialized in...if any...I know musicians, like artists dabble in many forms.
    Heya Adam,

Professional speaking, whatever earnt a living:lol: I didn't really care as it always beat having a day job. Semi retired these days.

Anything from Tom Jones to Korn...

What I listen to? wide variety, classical to contemporary. What I record and play (guitar) at home is mostly jazz/funk fusion/chill.

These days I sound engineer and teach Music, start work in a few hours. Probably the best job I've had to date. Good hours, money and I get to mix, work with and meet excellent Muso's. A technically challenging job at times but very satisfying. What's more is the venue I work at has their own "in house rig", so no lugging. Just stage set-up and sound mixing and I'll be home by 6.30pm...ya gotta love that.

My Acoustic, Maton, 22 years and sounding better than ever, My Stratocaster, 31 year veteran (bought new) and performed around 3000 gigs, just had it refurbished in pic, (new nut, tail-piece, new frets. The body, neck, fret-board are original).

Name:  IMG_2345.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  5.26 MB

My very humble studio...does the trick.

Name:  IMG_2350.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  5.00 MB
    Last edited by Ross; 12-01-2013 at 01:34 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:

Adam Bomm (11-30-2013),Harley (11-30-2013),Zook_e_Pi (11-30-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 810 Posts

very cool...i've got some friends that would be pretty impressed. My dad and brother play guitar...not professionally. Me, i always preferred to sit, listen, and fantasize.