Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procrastination

Thanks
    Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,294 Posts

Procrastination

This quote of Eagle's was taken from the men and women thread but it may be worth exploring as a topic of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by 9eagle9 View Post
    But the ability to sit in that realization without judging one’s self removes a lot of blocks and baggages.

I will freely admit some portions of my procrastination comes from not trusting myself to do something…for whatever reason. Mostly “I will invest a lot of time and energy doing something and not be able to accomplish it” . Perversely when I clear this block and tackle what I’ve been avoiding it turns out to be stupidly easy.
    Great insight.

So I am sitting here this morning with a cup of tea and reading on my laptop, well doing anything really except what I should be doing, something I have been putting off for about 3 weeks. Time is running out as the deadline is getting closer. So why am I procrastinating?

I hadn't considered it was a trust issue but I can see I don't trust myself to do the task properly without an enormous amount of effort.

So now I think, instead of doing the task, it may be worth spending some time reflecting on what the real blockage is.

Looks like I am still procrastinating :lol:

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Useful Post:

9eagle9 (06-25-2013),Adam Bomm (06-24-2013),followthebubbles (06-24-2013),HURRITT ENYETO (06-24-2013),Lee (06-25-2013),Reaver (06-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 372 Posts

Re: Procrastination

Wow.. Here is a topic that I am expert at..

I am procrastinating right now instead of working on my own massive project that is nearing completion after two years but still has a lot of work that is left to do.

We can look at procrastination as avoidance out of some kind of subtle fear. I completely agree with Eagle's above quote. You build up this task as something intimidating or seemingly impossible, then once you finally get down to it, it is easy, not a big deal at all. So what was the big hoo haa about you wonder?

I look back thought and sometimes wonder if procrastination has sometimes gotten me in trouble. There might have been times that it did, but I can remember more clearly times where procrastination has helped.

So I'll ask the question; Is procrastination a good thing? Does it actually help us in ways? What if procrastination is higher-self acting through us to produce a creative delay. The Universe saying "Just wait, I'm working on this."

It's kind of hard to know if procrastination is really of benefit or not because we can't know how things would have turned out if we had been prompt or not delayed.. :lol:

There have been more times than not, I think, where procrastination has been really beneficial. While working on the above mentioned project. Procrastination in writing led me to eventually reread some research that I had earlier dismissed which ended up completely changing my project for the better. It immediately solved a problem that I had been having. If I had just proceeded and not looked at that research, pushed through to get it done earlier it would not have been as good.

I think creative people who have ever had to work to a deadline usually thrive on the creative pressure that arises out of last minute work.

I heard an interview a while ago with Frank Partnoy. He wrote a book called "Wait: The Art and Science of Delay" He describes what I did above really well.

Here is a link to that interview. Hopefully you can get it outside of Canada - http://www.cbc.ca/books/2012/08/dont...stination.html

So maybe we shouldn't feel so guilty about procrastination but allow ourselves to enjoy it or trust it instead.. Maybe procrastination or the guilt we feel about it is a kind of creative tension. Our ego knows we need to do something on time or in the way the ego likes to control something, but procrastination is our higher self working perfectly, using time to invisibly created conditions for a better outcome.. So, my solution is not to worry about it, just be present with where I am whether it's working or procrastinating..

But, gotta go.. This project won't finish itself..
    Last edited by VajraYaya; 06-24-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    Offense can only be taken, never given

"The funny thing is that you can actually force people to become slaves, but you can't force them to evolve nor become free" ~ Reaver

"Oh! do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch." ~ Jane Austen

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VajraYaya For This Useful Post:

9eagle9 (06-25-2013),Jenci (06-24-2013),Lee (06-25-2013),Reaver (06-25-2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,285 Posts

Mine is based in putting a lot of time, energy and thought into ...say fixing something. Only not to have it be fixed. I could have been doing something else. As time goes on I keep getting more and more reluctant to address the issue. Because there are other things I want to do besides grease monkey with a lawnmower or broken pipe all weekend only to have it not be functional ...STILL. However to move onto something else I want to do those issues have to be addressed.

Then there's that other part where I do nothing:

Nothing gets done.

It resolves itself without my interference.

Knowing the difference between the two is the challenge.

Changing something to change something versus just allowing the situation to correct itself.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 9eagle9 For This Useful Post:

Jenci (06-25-2013),Lee (06-25-2013),Reaver (06-25-2013),VajraYaya (06-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,294 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VajraYaya View Post
    I look back thought and sometimes wonder if procrastination has sometimes gotten me in trouble. There might have been times that it did, but I can remember more clearly times where procrastination has helped.

So I'll ask the question; Is procrastination a good thing? Does it actually help us in ways? What if procrastination is higher-self acting through us to produce a creative delay. The Universe saying "Just wait, I'm working on this."

It's kind of hard to know if procrastination is really of benefit or not because we can't know how things would have turned out if we had been prompt or not delayed..

You make some good points about this but it really was not what I had in mind when I talk about procrastination.

I can put something on the back burner, let the pot simmer and wait for the ideas to cook for a while before they are ready. There's no discomfort or worry about that, it's just a natural way of allowing the Universe to take care of something in its own time. And when I get the signal the time is ready, I will tackle the task.

But I was really talking about procrastination where the Universe is saying this needs to be done now and resisting that. Then is become uncomfortable and thoughts turn to worry about getting the task done or ways of avoiding getting the task done. It's not a creative process but rather an avoidance of what is underlying the procrastination.

I could tell myself that I work better under pressure with a deadline looming but if that was true, I would not be procrastinating. I would have initially set a date to do the task right before the deadline and there would be no more thought or worry about it in the meantime. The procrastination is all the thought/worry/energy being put into NOT DOING the task.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Useful Post:

9eagle9 (06-25-2013),Lee (06-25-2013),Reaver (06-25-2013),VajraYaya (06-25-2013)

Thanks

I've found it has something to do with either self doubt or laziness (which may be fear being rationalized). To get **** done you have to have a certain amount of drive; it's what gives place to action. It ranges from trivial stuff like cleaning the living room to starting a business or clearing psychological crap.

In a sense it is resistence or a kind of friction. If it was easy all the time then there would be no challenge and so there would be no growth. As it's been stated in other threads, it's easy to be driven when you are high, but try to mantain a a strong drive while being completely sober... that's a real challenge.

We live in a global culture which is not concerned with teaching people how to exploit an inner drive... and many of those who have exploited that drive have gone the way of insanity. Someone like Hitler or Stalin had a massive drive and had to overcome huge odds so they could f.uck people up.

I've gone through periods where a massive drive kicks in and **** gets done; from writing to learning to clearing psychological crap. Then it fades away and it is hard to regain it, let alone maintain it for long periods of time. Laziness and or/self doubt gets in the way... but again that's the challenge to make it kick in at will and do what needs to be done so that eventually you can get or do what you want.

The more adept you get at feeding and maintaining that drive, the more self confidence you gain and so you become much more effective at learning stuff and overcoming challenges. It's easy to gain that drive through drugs, NLP, Hypnotism, etc. but doing it the "natural way" it's what separates the milk drinkers from the meat eaters... and by those standards I'm still drinking plenty of milk.
    Inner Armageddon Blog: http://innerarmageddon.wordpress.com/

People's insecurities and inability to be comfortable in themselves prevents them from shutting the f.uck up.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reaver For This Useful Post:

9eagle9 (06-25-2013),Jenci (06-25-2013),Lee (06-25-2013),VajraYaya (06-25-2013)

Thanks

It appears the reasons for procrastinating as are many and varied as we are.

A couple of years ago I really thought I needed some emotional clearing. At the time EFT was often popping up into my mind and I was noticing it referenced here and there. I kept thinking I really must get onto that. Never quite got around to it. Still it kept coming up and on some level I was continuously prompting myself to look into it. So I finally did and all was going well for about a week. It's been very interesting, very effective and damn quick. I would drop my son off at school and come home each morning for about an hour of clearing and reading what I could on the subject.

A couple of days ago after dropping my son off I realised I'd gone back into procrastination mode. As I sat in my car in the garage listening to the 3rd song on a cd I realised I'm not exactly wanting to get on with it today....lol. I dragged myself out only to get inside and find all manner of distractions. First, the washing machine was beeping...must hang the washing out. Then, I really need to call the plumber but I'll just load the dishwasher! Even after batting those distractions away I found myself eyeing the fresh loaf of bread thinking wouldn't a tomato sandwiche be just delicious right now! Seriously wtf, I'd only just had breakfast.

I did get on with it and looking for those reasons why I was procrastinating led to a lot of clearing in itself. Although I've changed my approach and spread it over several smaller sessions throughout the day. It's a different rhythm but works well so far.

Also thanks for the interesting threads and pub chats. I don't often post but do find the discussions interesting.

Lee

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

9eagle9 (06-25-2013),Jenci (06-26-2013),VajraYaya (06-25-2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks

I procrastinated forever doing EFT, over something that takes no effort, and carves 10-20 minutes out of your day. For years I avoided it. Avoiding the emotional confrontation I realized. I did some this afternoon after a weird recurring dream I have that has grown increasingly confrontational.

That's been the better part of my clearing process along with just sitting in my emotions and not avoiding them or rationalizing them away. Or more importantly not taking them out on someone else. None of this takes any real effort or brains but we avoid it like crazy, thinking that 'thinking' it all away and understanding it will take the place of it. I have never actually tapped on my procrastination that should be interesting. A form of denial or something?

Some people its a self value problem where they have been conditioned so stringently to believe that everyone elses needs come before their own they can't bring themselves to do something for themselves.

So it manifests as procrastination even though the causes of true procrastination may differ.

Tomato sandwiches are the most awesomeness distraction in the world. One of my major addiction foods.No procrastination problems there. A BLT without the BL

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9eagle9 For This Useful Post:

Jenci (06-26-2013),Lee (06-26-2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks

I procrastinated forever doing EFT
    What is EFT?

A. Every Fukcing Thing
    B. Electronic Funds Transfer
    C. Emotional Freedom Technique
    D. Something Else

Retired Member
    Thanks

What is EFT?

A. Every Fukcing Thing
    B. Electronic Funds Transfer
    D. Something Else

All of the above. IN this context C, also known as tapping.

Retired Member
    Thanks

AHA!
    That sounds like something I could benefit from with further inquiry into.
    Can you post a link to a youtube video(<30 minutes duration) that spells clearly how to achieve Emotional Freedom, please and thanks.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gooty For This Useful Post:

Jenci (06-26-2013),Lee (06-26-2013)