Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Procrastination

Thanks
    Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,294 Posts

Re: Procrastination

I wonder if procrastination too has something to do with holding onto a behaviour we don't want to let go off.

For example I have always got jealous at organised people with their up to date To Do lists, tidy desks and homes, everything in its right place. If I didn't procrastinate I wouldn't have a reason to feel jealous or irritable.

It's like the procrastination is providing the fertile ground for feelings I want to (unconciously) keep.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Useful Post:

followthebubbles (06-26-2013),Lee (06-26-2013),Reaver (06-26-2013),VajraYaya (06-26-2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,285 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jenci View Post
    I wonder if procrastination too has something to do with holding onto a behaviour we don't want to let go off.

For example I have always got jealous at organised people with their up to date To Do lists, tidy desks and homes, everything in its right place. If I didn't procrastinate I wouldn't have a reason to feel jealous or irritable.

It's like the procrastination is providing the fertile ground for feelings I want to (unconciously) keep.
    I don't know.

I tend to be an out of sight out of mind person because I'm not a worrier. Being in the present means you are where you are in the present and it may not be listing stuff out into the future. I don't see untidiness because I don't go looking for something 'wrong' (have enough of that without looking for it) .

I see it other people's homes and then wonder if mine is such a wreck...lol.

My personal area where I spend most of my day is usually neatened daily but then I'll wander into the living room where i hardly ever go and think, Holy **** what a wreck. Then I forget about it as soon as I pass by because something else has caught my attention.

Till someone rings to say they are coming over.

That's my reminder...lol. Then an auto list springs to my head.

People like that make me want to wring their neck. "I need to check my schedule" "Where's my list" I never pondered why I want to ring their neck.

I sorta of like chaos when I go looking for one thing I find something else that I didn't remember I had.

It takes up too much time being ordely. Five hours invested so you can find your measuring cup in one second flat.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9eagle9 For This Useful Post:

followthebubbles (06-26-2013),Jenci (06-27-2013),Reaver (06-26-2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,285 Posts

I don't much care for the use of choke words like kill but for curiosity's sake.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9eagle9 For This Useful Post:

followthebubbles (06-26-2013),Gooty (06-26-2013),Jenci (06-27-2013)

Thanks

Yes, the whole human experience is way too labour intensive for my liking. And list making merely promotes more of that.

I don't envy the orderly one's. It's hard to relax around all that perfection.....lol. I know someone on the extreme end of that scale. Any second now I'm expecting her to shatter into a thousand pieces. Obviously there is more going on there. But I also know a couple of families with four kids and everything is orderly and scheduled. It seems to work really well for them. Having one kid makes it easier to live life on the fly.

The exception I make to that is the camping list. I work off that master list every year. Adding or subtracting the odd thing. You don't want to be the dickhead that has to borrow your neighbours lighter for every meal.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

Jenci (06-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,294 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 9eagle9 View Post
    I tend to be an out of sight out of mind person because I'm not a worrier. Being in the present means you are where you are in the present and it may not be listing stuff out into the future. I don't see untidiness because I don't go looking for something 'wrong' (have enough of that without looking for it) .
    I have this knowing that everything is ok because a lot of the time I have no problem just doing what I am doing, it's just those mental thoughts then shout out, I should be getting stuff done off the lists.

When I read Reaver's post, I related to what he described and then staight away I ended up reading something about the natural cycle of inertia and activity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenci For This Useful Post:

HURRITT ENYETO (06-28-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 756 Posts

"If good things come to those who wait... Isn't procrastination a virtue?"

"I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:

Jenci (06-27-2013)