Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zero Point & the Gold Curses

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 809 Posts

Re: Zero Point & the Gold Curses

Quote Originally Posted by 9eagle9 View Post
    But its still basic grammar --(really basic) which a lot of people don't know because parsing is no longer taught in public education anywhere
    This is not meant as a reflection on you (just wanted to say that upfront) but grammar was always my worst subject in school. I just couldn't get behind it because it seemed we were taught this endlessly in my parochial grade school. Literally the same stuff year after year. I lost interest after the first time. What is funny is that I was used later on as a student aide teaching kids that couldn't grasp it. I could not have cared less. The truth is I never became a proficient writer because to repeat (as in school... I just didn't care. I'm just not sure of the practicality of its usage and/or its validity. Very much like numerology, if you play with the numbers enough you'll come up with meaning but that they bear the mark of 'synchronicity' is highly questionable. One of the reasons that numerology among all the so-called 'pseudo-sciences' never grabbed me.

Truth be told, I always felt that kind of thing was for 'girls'. They seemed to be really good and more important seem to come really natural to it. I don't know if that's true or not but females I think are by nature better linguists
    Last edited by Adam Bomm; 02-28-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 809 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 9eagle9 View Post
    In this respect his grammatical formula is meant to stay 'true' the same way a mathematical formula is tested to remain 'true' when read left to right and right to left.
    I see your point...and it's a good one...

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,285 Posts

No reflection taken I don't remember learning grammar I do remember my father showing me how to parse since I asked what it was and it was a despicable activity then that served well later in life. Like learning how to repair the lawn mower it is a skill. I hated math, until some one showed me a better way to use it. The validity is that people in high places are running the world with it; thus I want to see how they are doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Bomm View Post
    This is not meant as a reflection on you (just wanted to say that upfront) but grammar was always my worst subject in school. I just couldn't get behind it because it seemed we were taught this endlessly in my parochial grade school. Literally the same stuff year after year. I lost interest after the first time. What is funny is that I was used later on as a student aide teaching kids that couldn't grasp it. I could not have cared less. The truth is I never became a proficient writer because to repeat (as in school... I just didn't care. I'm just not sure of the practicality of its usage and/or its validity. Very much like numerology, if you play with the numbers enough you'll come up with meaning but that they bear the mark of 'synchronicity' is highly questionable. One of the reasons that numerology among all the so-called 'pseudo-sciences' never grabbed me.

Truth be told, I always felt that kind of thing was for 'girls'. They seemed to be really good and more important seem to come really natural to it. I don't know if that's true or not but females I think are by nature better linguists