Thread: Parallel Universes exist? We may soon find out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 774 Posts

Parallel Universes exist? We may soon find out

We might be about to find out if parallel universes exist

Name:  656115-9fe0d92c-d338-11e4-bfca-f6b2a9843935.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  77.7 KB
    View from the central axis of the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) tunnel of the ATLAS underground facility with the eight thoroids surrounding the calorimeter before the thrust to the centre of the underground facility.

THE large hadron collider is getting turned back on — and this time it’s going to be twice as powerful.

The ginormous circular machine with a tunnel circumference of 27km has sat dormant for the past two years while technicians and scientists worked to make alterations to the system. The upgrades will allow the LHC to propel particles at double the speed of previous experiments and could pave the way for some truly groundbreaking discoveries.

As scientists prepare for the machine to be switched back on, speculation is fierce about the potential outcomes of the impending particle accelerations. Some in the scientific community are claiming it could lead to proof of parallel universes.

The LHC was due to be turned on this week but the detection of a short circuit in one of its powerful electromagnets has led to a temporary delay. However when scientists at CERN do get it running, one thing they will be looking for is the creation of tiny black holes.

Apparently, the (hypothetical) detection of mini black holes would lend support to string theory which postulates the existence of alternative dimensions and parallel universes.

Name:  656546-b1afb6a0-d338-11e4-bfca-f6b2a9843935.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  62.8 KB
    The $US10 billion ($A15.49 billion) atom-smashing Large Hadron Collider — the largest particle accelerator ever built is getting turned back on.

That is the theory posed by physicists Mir Faizal, Mohammed M. Khalil and Ahmed Farag Ali which is published in the current issue of the journal Physics Letters B.

Black holes were not detected in the previous experiments conducted by the LHC but the authors of the study believe the increased power could do the trick.

“We found that the energy needed to form black holes is larger than the energy scale of the LHC, but is within reach of the next particle colliders,” the authors wrote in the paper.

They believe that in previous experiments, scientists did not observe black holes because they did not take into account the idea of rainbow gravity.

According to the rainbow gravity theory, if other dimensions exist, it is possible that gravity could “leak” into alternative dimensions and lower the energy required to produce a mini black hole.

Mr. Faizal, told CDC News that such an event was conceivably possible with the increased power and would prove “extra dimensions and parallel universes are correct.”

It is purely speculative and while numerous media outlets have run wild with the idea, with the UK’s Telegraph even saying such findings would disprove the theory of the big bang, others are not convinced.

Swedish physicist and theoretical physicist, Sabine Hossenfelder has disputed the likelihood of black holes being created and said the paper has major theoretical flaws in it.

In a fiery blog post, she questioned their methods and refuted a number of their conclusions. “None of this has anything to do with parallel universes,” she wrote.

Parallel universes aside, the new round of experiments will most likely allow scientists to discover new, and possibly bigger, particles that would enhance our understanding of physics.

LHC researcher Patrick Koppenburg said they are hoping to find “particles that are so heavy that they haven’t been produced before.”

For example, it has been speculated that the Higgs Boson is one of several undiscovered particles that make up a broader Higgs family.

The LHC’s biggest achievement so far was the July 2012 discovery of the Higgs Boson particle and the new round of activity will give researchers a greater insight into its behaviour.

Thought to have existed since the 1960s, the particle is a part of the Higgs field that governs laws around the mass of particles. The official identification of the particle was hailed as a major scientific breakthrough.

Time will tell if this second round of experiments will prove to be as fruitful. While we may or may not prove the existence of parallel universes, stay tuned for some potentially ground breaking discoveries.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...-1227279656626

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:

Adam Bomm (03-26-2015),Bethany (03-26-2015),Harley (03-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 810 Posts

Re: Parallel Universes exist? We may soon find out

Interesting...I don't like the LHC...Why, because I don't believe that the Higgs Boson, ostensibly discovered, proves anything. Why do I believe that...because I don't like the LHC...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Bomm For This Useful Post:

Bethany (03-26-2015)

Thanks

Yeah, purely speculative is probably right. The idea of parallel universes starts to break down when we gain access to them. They become our reality rather than an alternate reality.

Thanks

Posted this a whiles back....

Thanks

Hi Awall,

that's the biggest caveat of all, we...meaning you or i can't gain access...it's the other you or i that does that. By definition parallel universes are exactly that, parallel...they never meet in the same time and/or place ...we can zip around our own universe using the same principles, however and if we do screw up and slip into one of the others it's a one-way trip. We might be able to acquire a realization that we aren't in Kansas anymore but we won't ever tell anyone in Kansas about the experience. So goes current theory... A parallel universe I think though isn't necessarily synonymous with time travel. Time travel can occur in a single universe but, of course, it requires a great deal of energy. In fact, FE, might be just the ticket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Bomm View Post
    Why, because I don't believe that the Higgs Boson, ostensibly discovered, proves anything. Why do I believe that.
    Ostensibly...hmmm ok, (as appears or is stated to be true, though not necessarily so; apparently.)

Predicted 50 years ago using predictable math and now no longer a theory but a quantified fact, thanks to the LHC, that alone proves the predictions were correct ...and nowhere near "ostensibly" as in "appears to be true

There's ton of info pre and post in finding the Higgs existence...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:

Adam Bomm (03-27-2015)

Thanks

The thing is Ross, the discovery parameters are 'only' within certain percentages of the expected particle

Below are some snippets from various sources
    "The most appropriate length scale I'd associate with the Higgs is about 10^{-17} m, which is about 1/100th the size of a proton. This is the Compton wavelength associated with a mass of 125 GeV.

"This allowed for the first time a direct estimate of the Higgs mass of about 100±30 GeV/c2. This estimate however is subject to the condition that the Standard Model is all there is, and no physics beyond the Standard Model come into play at these energy levels. New physical effects could potentially alter this estimate substantially"

In short, there is still a 1 in a million chance that THE Higgs Boson is either not THE Higgs Boson or is irrelevant anyway due to the above considerations. I'm going with that 1 in a million chance.

On a serious note, however, I'm sorta just kidding...I really want to see where things go from here. The reason I'm a bit resistant is because I really didn't think they would find 'exactly' what they were looking for. Time will tell.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Bomm For This Useful Post:

Ross (04-01-2015)