Thread: The world’s first full head transplant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 773 Posts

The world’s first full head transplant.

Yikes...wasn't sure what forum to put this in so I guess "living" is the best option...

Terminally ill man set to be first to undergo the world’s first full head transplant.

Believe it or not this has been done before...on a monkey.

AN Italian surgeon is set to become the first in the world to transplant a human head on to a donor body.

The pioneering operation by Dr Sergio Canavero is to be carried out on a 30-year-old computer scientist who is suffering from a fatal muscle wasting disease.

Valery Spiridonov has admitted that the prospect of going through with the operation is terrifying.

“I am afraid, but what people don’t really understand is I don’t really have many choices.

“If I don’t try this out my fate will be very sad. With every year my situation is getting worse.”

The man from Russia, who is battling the rare genetic Werdnig-Hoffman muscle wasting disease, added: “My decision is final and I do not plan to change my mind.”

AN Italian surgeon is set to become the first in the world to transplant a human head on to a donor body.

The pioneering operation by Dr Sergio Canavero is to be carried out on a 30-year-old computer scientist who is suffering from a fatal muscle wasting disease.

Valery Spiridonov has admitted that the prospect of going through with the operation is terrifying.

“I am afraid, but what people don’t really understand is I don’t really have many choices.

“If I don’t try this out my fate will be very sad. With every year my situation is getting worse.”

The man from Russia, who is battling the rare genetic Werdnig-Hoffman muscle wasting disease, added: “My decision is final and I do not plan to change my mind.”

Last chance ... Spiridonov says he has no other option. Picture: Australscope

Last chance ... Spiridonov says he has no other option. Picture: Australscope Source: australscope

Dr Canavero said he’s received many emails and letters from people seeking the procedure and he had already decided that the first patient would be someone suffering from a muscle wasting disease.

The procedure has some medical precedent as it was recently reported that Chinese scientists had carried out a head transplant on a mouse.

But most medical experts say a human head transplant is pure fantasy.

Dr Hunt Batjer, president elect of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons, told CNN: “I would not wish this on anyone. I would not allow anyone to do it to me as there are a lot of things worse than death.”

Dr Canavero described how he would carry out the procedure to Helen Thomson at New Scientist.

Firstly he would have to cool both the body and head so the cells won’t die when deprived of oxgyen through the process.

Next, the neck of the patient is severed and all the crucial blood vessels are hooked up to tubes while the spinal cord on both the head and the body are severed.

“The recipient’s head is then moved onto the donor body and the two ends of the spinal cord are fused together,” said Thomson.

“To achieve this, Canavero intends to flush the area with a chemical called polyethylene glycol, and follow up with several hours of injections of the same stuff. Just like hot water makes dry spaghetti stick together, polyethylene glycol encourages the fat in cell membranes to mesh.”

Canavero told Thomson the last stage of the lenghy process would be to stitch up the muscles and blood supply.

The patient would then be put into a three or four-week coma to let the body heal itself while embedded electrodes stimulate the spinal cord to strengthen the new nerve connections.

The patient won’t be able to get up and walk around after the surger Dr Canavero said telling the New Scientist that the damage to the spinal cord would take about 12 months to heal fully. The patient would however keep their old voice, he adds.

Only time will tell if the body rejects the new head or not.

The first attempt at a head transplant was carried out on a dog by Soviet surgeon Vladimir Demikhov in 1954. A puppy's head and forelegs were transplanted onto the back of a larger dog. Demikhov conducted several further attempts but the dogs only survived between two and six days.

The first successful head transplant, in which one head was replaced by another, was carried out in 1970. A team led by Robert White at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio, transplanted the head of one monkey onto the body of another. They didn't attempt to join the spinal cords, though, so the monkey couldn't move its body, but it was able to breathe with artificial assistance. The monkey lived for nine days until its immune system rejected the head. Although few head transplants have been carried out since, many of the surgical procedures involved have progressed. "I think we are now at a point when the technical aspects are all feasible," says Canavero.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...e#.VSwtg5Nq_K9

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:

Fred Steeves (04-14-2015),Harley (04-13-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 443 Posts

Re: The world’s first full head transplant.

I'm speechless. I'm posting, but I'm speechless.
    Fred
    "Life IS mystical! Its just that we're used to it." - Wolf, the movie
    "Dad, if God is everywhere then, when he's in a piece of paper, is he squished?" - My daughter, age 7

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fredkc For This Useful Post:

Ross (04-14-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 773 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fredkc View Post
    I'm speechless. I'm posting, but I'm speechless.
    Yeah...well...Macabre to say the least and it made me feel uneasy...can you imagine the recipients state of mind heading into such a procedure and it would not surprise me if he bailed out and excepted his short life instead...

And if this Frankenstein surgery was successful, and with a ton of anti-rejection meds, what are the implications between his head/brain sitting atop another body...f uck it boggles the mind as to what he may experience.
    Last edited by Ross; 04-14-2015 at 05:12 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:

Adam Bomm (04-14-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 810 Posts

I laugh every time I see that headline...