Thread: Fukushima’s deserted towns frozen in time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 724 Posts

Fukushima’s deserted towns frozen in time.

Article:

THE abandoned towns of Fukushima have been revealed five years after the nuclear disaster forced mass evacuations of the Japanese towns, freezing it in time.

In a series of eerie photographs, the deserted supermarkets, laundromats and stores can be seen left damaged and abandoned, strewn with rubbish and vestiges of the lives that were once there.

Malaysian photographer Keow Wee Loong snuck into the area, wearing just a gas mask, to capture the haunting images, The Sun reports.

More than 150,000 people were forced to leave the area which has now been left a wasteland after the nuclear fallout.

The catastrophic disaster was caused when an earthquake hit off the coast of Japan on March 11, 2011.

At 9.11 on the Richter scale, the earthquake was one of the most powerful to hit the country.

But it was the following tsunami that destroyed reactors at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, with the disaster second only to the Chernobyl nuclear event.

The 15m waves slammed into the nuclear power plant with the radioactive materials leaking.

It was assigned the level seven rating on the International Nuclear Event Scale by the Japanese government.

Despite the towns now listed as exclusion zones and cordoned off to the public, the 27-year-old photographer snuck into the area with friends Sherena Ng and Koji Hori.

The trio visited four of the evacuated towns, Tomioka, Okuma, Namie and Futaba, in June this year.

Malaysian-born Loong said: “The residents of these three towns in the red exclusion zone left so quickly they didn’t even pack or take anything valuable with them.

“If you visit any boutique or shopping mall in these towns, you will see the merchandise exactly where it was since 2011, nothing has been changed or moved.”

He said: “Due to the high level of radiation, the town was filled with police so we had a limited amount of time to explore everything in all four towns. We entered the red exclusion zone in the dark around 1am, to avoid attention from the cops.”

Calling it an “untouched ghost town”, the photographer said he had even found money laying around, books and other valuables left abandoned.

He said: “When I walked into the mall I felt an eerie silence, like time had frozen. The mall was completely empty with no people in it but all the merchandise in place and I could explore anywhere I wanted.

“I always had a childhood dream of going into a mall alone when it is empty, so my dream came true, it was like deja vu, everything is exactly the way it is since 2011, the books marked with 2011, DVD movies of 2011.

“This was one of the creepiest things I have ever seen, I have been to many places, but nothing like Fukushima, the traffic lights are still operating but there are no cars around.

“It all reminded me of the movie I Am Legend, like stepping foot into a post-apocalyptic city.”

Despite wearing gas masks, he said he could feel the impact of the radiation almost immediately.

Loong said: “Upon arrival in the red zone, I could smell chemicals and felt a burning sensation in my eyes.”

Extreme radiation poisoning can cause sickness and even death within hours or days. While the radiation levels in Fukushima have gone down since the initial disaster, the remaining radiation still reaches about 4.8mSv and 6.5 mSv.

Long-term impacts to radiation can increase the chances of developing cancer and other long-term health effects.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-...dc4dfe2373416e
    Last edited by Ross; 07-13-2016 at 01:35 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:

Harley (07-13-2016),Jenci (07-14-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 443 Posts

Re: Fukushima’s deserted towns frozen in time.

"... it was like deja vu, everything is exactly the way it is since 2011"

On a smaller scale...
    Since my dad was, among other things, a pilot (barnstormer b'tween the wars, test pilot during WWII), and the fact we traveled so much as a kid (I had over 50,000 miles racked up by the time I as 11), I've always had a thing for aviation. Crashes give me the creeps.

In Dec. 1960 two airliners collided over NY city. 134 people died.

Turned out one of the pilots lived 2 doors down from us. A neighbor kid and I, curious, went over to his house, and peeked in. He had a stack of folded clothes, still sitting atop the dryer. At the kitchen table, was a plate with the remnants of 2 fried eggs, and toast. Could almost hear him say, "Bah! I'll do the dishes when I get back."

At 11, it was my first brush with Life Interrupted.
    "Life IS mystical! Its just that we're used to it." - Wolf, the movie
    "Dad, if God is everywhere then, when he's in a piece of paper, is he squished?" - My daughter, age 7

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fredkc For This Useful Post:

Harley (07-13-2016),Jenci (07-14-2016),Ross (07-13-2016)