Thread: Fred's Addiction...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 443 Posts

Fred's Addiction...

I've been a programmer, of one kind or another for over 35 years. When I'm not programming, my hobby is .... programming. I tried having a life but, renting is such a hassle. Anyway...

I've been working on my home machine. Again.
    It has its own web server. On it I keep copies of articles, and all manner of things I find on the Web. Reading & study material, programming examples, etc.

One of the things I wrote recently, was a note keeping page. I use it, in another tab when reading, to take notes. The notes are saved in their own folder, ClipNotes, with time & date stamp. I also put an add-on toolbar on Firefox that can do the same job at the formatting buttons in the V-bulleting reply page (pic below). This also lets me write formatted posts whether I'm on site, or not.

I keep all this in HTML web page format. So I can browse, read and... Search! A lot of things magically disappear on the web. So instead of links, I'll just copy the page. This machine has only a subset (2 Gigs worth) of my full collection (about 10 Gig).

The cataloging server that comes with it allows an incredible variety of search criterea... it's great. It also uses a huge amount of resources - Disk space, memory, and CPU time. So I built a simple alternative that doesn't.

I have a section on the server called CurEvents, with about 20 folders beneath it - including my notes. I wrote the search to go thru this area, only. When you search, it produces a page like below, with links to the pages with hits.

Heres the part I just figured out: When you go to the page from the search list, the web page is loaded, and the search word is highlighted throughout the page.

If you go the page, by browsing, there are no highlights. The site is completely browsable with a web-style work-alike to File Explorer. Cataloging all the files would be an all day job... not worth it. Pointless, even.

This keeps the site's 2 "home pages" simple. It's mainly a list of starting points to go looking for things. Page two has something different - A box that is populated each time its loaded, by searching the CurEvents folder, and listing the most recently added files.

This keeps them easy to refer back to.

Anyway... thought I'd share.
    Fred
    PS: Yes, I wrote this post in the note taking program.
    "Life IS mystical! Its just that we're used to it." - Wolf, the movie
    "Dad, if God is everywhere then, when he's in a piece of paper, is he squished?" - My daughter, age 7

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fredkc For This Useful Post:

Adam Bomm (09-05-2016),Ross (09-05-2016),Zook_e_Pi (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 810 Posts

Re: Fred's Addiction...

Hey Mr. Fred,

I'm just now getting introduced to cross hardware platform development. There is a huge market for mobile apps. Something you likely are well aware of. I've already begun hatching my personal conspiracy to use my daughter's tech savvy and art talents to create a business to support me in my old age. I did let my daughter in on it and she as usual was very reticent about my brilliant inspiration. And she really was not enamored of my proposed company name. "Daddy and Baby"

On the way to Tiperary (via shortcut through the Tum Tum trees)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 707 Posts

Programming as an addiction? Who'da thunk it. Seems like a lot of time has to be invested - even by the best of Boolean workers - to find that sweet spot (e.g. when the program actually works as intended!!). You must encounter a fair amount of programming success, Fred, for wanting to come back for more pain. I gave up programming as a career a long time ago, shortly after planting the flag on the peak of "Hello World!". I still program here and there, now and then, for my own personal needs ... but HTML and scripting is not really programming I don't think. For me, programming is mostly taking other people's codes and modifying them for my own purposes. You may call me a thief ... but 10 steps and choice of pistols if you call me a plagiarist!!!

In moderation is the rule. Make sure you have many moderations.

In addiction is the exception. Make sure you only have a few addictions.

My own addictions are chess and leering at beautiful women ... tho' not necessarily in that order ... in fact, not at all in that order.

... my, my, myyyy ...

Pax
    Last edited by Zook_e_Pi; 09-06-2016 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zook_e_Pi View Post
    ... but HTML and scripting is not really programming I don't think. For me, programming is mostly taking other people's codes and modifying them for my own purposes.
    Granted, HTML is merely a method of presentation. But it has another feature. Combined with a browser is becomes an incredibly effective means of I/O. Basically a standardized venue for data retrieval, and presentation. Correctly used it provides a means for both gathering input, and controlling same. Nothing appears on the browser, being info, or controls, which the programmer doesn't have a handle on.

scripting is another matter, though.

Through them I can:
    • Add, remove, and process data to/from databases.
    • Retrieve and present same.
    • Create files on the host machine.
    • Add, edit, or remove info from same.
    • Create gateways to allow/refuse access to information.

I believe I have satisfied most, if not all, of the criteria for a genuine programming language. The basic difference in a "scripting language" is that the compiler is located on the host, and code is compiled each time accessed.

One of the things I came up with, about a year ago is interesting. It is a login system that is impervious to packet sniffers, whether on the server, or user's machine - Key loggers, and such - even someone standing over your shoulder watching the keyboard. All of this fails because...
    1. Viewing page source reveals nothing of use. and...
    2. The password is different every time the page is accessed!
    (Ex avail. upon request)

Quote Originally Posted by Zook_e_Pi View Post
    You may call me a thief ... but 10 steps and choice of pistols if you call me a plagiarist!!!
    Well, if the shoe fits....
    Takes one to know one!
    Personally I detest Javascript. I consider it a language for obsessed typists, not programmers. 90% of what I use in that language is just that: copy/paste.

Lastly, I have the advantage of not only knowing I'm crazy, but I am also comfortable with said knowledge. Therefore I limit myself to no more than 2 addictions at the same time.
    "Life IS mystical! Its just that we're used to it." - Wolf, the movie
    "Dad, if God is everywhere then, when he's in a piece of paper, is he squished?" - My daughter, age 7

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fredkc For This Useful Post:

Zook_e_Pi (09-07-2016)

On the way to Tiperary (via shortcut through the Tum Tum trees)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fredkc View Post
    Granted, HTML is merely a method of presentation. But it has another feature. Combined with a browser is becomes an incredibly effective means of I/O. Basically a standardized venue for data retrieval, and presentation. Correctly used it provides a means for both gathering input, and controlling same. Nothing appears on the browser, being info, or controls, which the programmer doesn't have a handle on.

scripting is another matter, though.

Through them I can:
    • Add, remove, and process data to/from databases.
    • Retrieve and present same.
    • Create files on the host machine.
    • Add, edit, or remove info from same.
    • Create gateways to allow/refuse access to information.

I believe I have satisfied most, if not all, of the criteria for a genuine programming language. The basic difference in a "scripting language" is that the compiler is located on the host, and code is compiled each time accessed.

One of the things I came up with, about a year ago is interesting. It is a login system that is impervious to packet sniffers, whether on the server, or user's machine - Key loggers, and such - even someone standing over your shoulder watching the keyboard. All of this fails because...
    1. Viewing page source reveals nothing of use. and...
    2. The password is different every time the page is accessed!
    (Ex avail. upon request)
    I can only steal code. You can create it at will.

I'm jealous of your programming abilities. There's so much you can do with your level of knowledge. And this is the age of computers, so the world is yours to own. I created a spelling game a decade ago. Better than Scrabble, believe it or not, and very original. I told myself I was going to learn a mobile programming language someday and create an online version for net play ... someday has yet to come. If I had your knowledge, it would be out there now.

Well, if the shoe fits....
    Takes one to know one!
    Personally I detest Javascript. I consider it a language for obsessed typists, not programmers. 90% of what I use in that language is just that: copy/paste.

Lastly, I have the advantage of not only knowing I'm crazy, but I am also comfortable with said knowledge. Therefore I limit myself to no more than 2 addictions at the same time.
    Javascript was meant for thieves like me. But I do give credit to the original authors and point to their websites in the comments section of the code. So even thieves can be fair about things.

I started to learn Java (OOP) programming over a decade ago ... but lost interest in it shortly after. I just don't have the patience to be a programmer; lot of time required for debugging. Locating syntax errors is just below chewing cardboard on the list of priorities.

As for being crazy, you really only get to the level of bananacrackers if you dedicate yourself to one addiction and not leave it for days on end. You can have ten addictions, to be sure, but unless you're willing to put in the extra time and spread an addiction out for a period of days, in some cases, weeks ... you're just a dark shade of normal.

Pax