Thread: Book of the Month Club

Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 808 Posts

Book of the Month Club

My thoughts from the Book of the Month Club:

Empyrion: A fictional telling of teaching and learning and even more importantly, what is taught and what is learned. A stark exposition of the nature of good and evil and how they emerge. If one cannot find parallels to the world we live in, well, then that one's mind simply doesn't exist.

Synchronicity never fails.

Adamm

Thanks

Re: Book of the Month Club

This is why I enjoy science fiction:

Olympus - Dan Simmons, copyright 2005

"To feed," Prospero said softly, "To feed."

"On us?" Harman said.

Prospero smiled. "Not exactly. Not directly."

"What the hell does that mean?" - Harman

"It means, young Harman human, that Setebos is a ghoul, Our many-handed friend feeds on the residues of fear and pain, the dark energy of sudden terror and rich residue of equally sudden death. This memory of terror lives in the soil of your world--of any warlike sentient creatures" world--like so much coal or petroleum, all of a lost era's wild energy sleeping underground."

"I don't understand."

"It means that Setebos, the Devourer of Worlds, that gourmet of Dark History has a goal, a goal to send his seed out across your world to suck the warmth out of these places like a succubus sucking breath from a sleeping soul--but it's your memory and your history that will fatten him like a many-handed blood tick."

"I still don't understand," said Harman.

"His nest is now in Paris Crater and other provincial places where you humans party and sleep and waste your useless lives away," said Prospero, "but, he will feed at Waterloo, HoTepsa, Stalingrad, Ground Zero, Kursk, Hiroshima, Saigon, Rwanda, Cape Town, Montreal, Gettysburg, Riyadh, Cambodia, Khanstaq, Chancellorsville, Okinawa, Tarawa, My Lai, Bergen Belsen, Auschwitz, the Somme-- do any of these names mean anything to you, Harman?"

"No."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Delicious, no?

Thanks

Re: Book of the Month Club

Prospero sighed, "This is our problem. Until some fragment of your human race regains the memory of you race, you cannot fight Setebos, you cannot understand Setebos, you cannot understand yourselves."

"Why is that your problem, Prospero?"

The old man sighed again, "If Setebos eats the human pain and memory of this world--an energy resource I call umana--this world will be physically alive but spiritually dead to any sentient being...including me."

"Spiritually dead?" repeated Harman. He knew the word from his reading and sigling--spirit, spiritual, spirituality--vague ideas having to do with ancient myths of ghosts and religion--it just made no sense coming from this hologram of a logosphere avatar, the too-cute construct of some set of ancient software programs and communication protocols.

"Spiritually dead," repeated the magus. "Psychically, philosophically, organically dead. On the quantum level, a living world records the most sentient energies its inhabitants experience, Harman, or Ardis--love, hate, fear, hope. Like particles of magnetite aligning to a north or south pole. The poles may change, wander, disappear, but the recordings remain. The resulting energy field is as real--although more difficult to measure and locate--as the magnetosphere a planet with a hot spinning core produces, protecting the living inhabitants with its forcefield from the harshest realities of space. So does the memory of pain and suffering protect the future of a sentient race. Does this make sense to you?"

"No," said Harman.

---

"I don't know what the hell you are," said Harman. "A hologram."

Prospero took a step closer and slapped Harman hard across the face.
    Harman took a step back, gaping. He raised his hand to his stinging cheek, balled that hand into a fist.

Prospero smiled and held his staff between them. "If you don't want to wake up on the floor ten minutes from now with the worst headache of your life, don't think about it."

Me: I learned at age 15 that all things are connected, that all data can become information, all information can become knowledge, and sometimes knowledge can impart wisdom...

- Da Dah-