Thread: The True Meaning of Raising One's Consciousness

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 809 Posts

The True Meaning of Raising One's Consciousness

There are many connotations but only one denotation:

To raise one's consciousness is to gain a greater understanding of self. To be able to ascertain things about oneself that were previously unknown. Presumably this greater awareness gives one access to things unknowable and allows them to be viewed and felt in the conscious mind. Some would argue that what is apprehended is beyond the usual conscious process and by definition spiritual, as spirit is a fundamental driver akin to instinct but not merely physiological or without elements of 'awareness'. Others would argue that this is nonsense.

An integral portion of 'awareness' is feeling and feeling is an integral portion of thinking. Without feeling there is no awareness. After all, even the psychopath has the drive/feeling to win out. So, the point is that feeling and thought as the impetus to communication and, as language is the primary vehicle for self expression what is communicated could be and frankly is a reflection of spirit.

Hah, that is something I've been trying to express for years...thanks Jung.
    Last edited by Adam Bomm; 06-02-2017 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks

Re: The True Meaning of Raising One's Consciousness

One's spirit as one's instinct can take divergent paths, working at cross purposes. My spirit and I have always had a close relationship with plentiful falling out experiences. Unfortunately, those moments are communicated as well. I think it is important to stay in tune with spirit for life, liberty, and happiness.

another Hah moment, I just added to Jung's work.

No not really.

Thanks

Re: The True Meaning of Raising One's Consciousness

Does enlightenment require dissolution of the ego? If one presumes ascension into an alternate universe, then yes, but in actual fact that is meaningless because an otherworldly existence supersedes any reasonable description and it is useless to proscribe 'conscious' limitations about it.

On the other hand, if one refers to corporeal enlightenment as is ascribed to many through history, then in actual fact it is meaningless as well. From an empirical perspective it is impossible to discern the difference between no ego and complete ego. They appear as the same as it is a manifestation of complete development of self. Integrated and balanced at a level that is quite uncommon. Humanity as a whole possesses only a fragmented sense of self, some aspects more illuminated than others. Jung would characterize the typical ego as islands or an archipelago of lumination/s.