Thread: The Weinstein fallout...

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 723 Posts

The Weinstein fallout...

Ok, rather a sticky subject throughout the media and Social platforms and frankly one that needed to be addressed.

I've read all kinds of views in relation to the thread title and subsequent fallouts from others announcing their experiences at the hands of powerful Men.

Yup, it's a shjt-show with everyone's opinion hammering the social media platforms and not without some joining in just for the sick sake of it...

However, I read today, from a Woman, a very well written piece and probably the best to date. Here it is.

We've all had a satisfying shout at sleazeballs, now let's bring about change.

Since the Harvey Weinstein scandal there has been a lot written saying men are sleazy and rapey and women have been subject to appalling abuse. "I hate men" was one headline this week. Well, sorry, sue me, I still like men. And I think we're missing something here.

One Hollywood writer said the fundamental predatory nature of Hollywood was based around young attractive females putting themselves in front of men to be judged, appraised and chosen.

She was right. So you can harangue those men to stop groping the women they are judging, but it doesn't change the fundamental business, this "dark equation", in which a woman is appraised as a product, not a human being.

And it's not just Hollywood. It's everywhere. Every day, women move around in a culture that does its best to make us dissatisfied with what we see in the mirror.

What I want to suggest is that now that we've all had a satisfying shout at men for being sleazeballs, perhaps we could focus on changing this underlying equation?

Because until we stop judging people's worth as if they were a product. the power game is still the same: sexual relationships are a commodity to be traded.

And it's not all men's fault. Women participate in this objectification, part of which is a sort of "beauty sickness", and teach it to our daughters. We teach them that they have sexual power and no one has the right to take it from them, but it's still a currency to haggle with.

So far, the Weinstein scandal has led to the message "Don't touch the merchandise!" But until we stop thinking of people as shiny objects, sex and relationships are always going to have a transactional nature.

Adam Smith said man is an animal that makes bargains. We do, of course. But I'm not sure that is where our deepest humanity is to be found. We are also creatures who are uniquely wired to connect, just because.

And it's not just Hollywood. It's everywhere. Every day, women move around in a culture that does its best to make us dissatisfied with what we see in the mirror.

What I want to suggest is that now that we've all had a satisfying shout at men for being sleazeballs, perhaps we could focus on changing this underlying equation?

Because until we stop judging people's worth as if they were a product. the power game is still the same: sexual relationships are a commodity to be traded.

And it's not all men's fault. Women participate in this objectification, part of which is a sort of "beauty sickness", and teach it to our daughters. We teach them that they have sexual power and no one has the right to take it from them, but it's still a currency to haggle with.

So far, the Weinstein scandal has led to the message "Don't touch the merchandise!" But until we stop thinking of people as shiny objects, sex and relationships are always going to have a transactional nature.

Adam Smith said man is an animal that makes bargains. We do, of course. But I'm not sure that is where our deepest humanity is to be found. We are also creatures who are uniquely wired to connect, just because.
    Ross
    ***Fred Coleman, Founding Partner, Beloved Friend***
    who passed away 11/10/2016
    Rest in Peace

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:

Harley (11-06-2017),Zook_e_Pi (11-05-2017)